I wanted to make you aware that our council achieved Gold Level Journey to Excellence status for 2015. This was due in large part to the great partnership of our wonderful volunteer leaders and our professional and support staff members working together to deliver a quality program to our Scouts and Scouters. I also know we could not have done it without your support. I truly appreciate all that you do.
It’s a new year, and I am excited about Scouting in the Trapper Trails Council in 2016. We are looking forward to another great one. Some of the things we are working on include:
- Finishing the renovation of the Camp Bartlett Lodge. As you are well aware, through the leadership of the Bartlett Lodge Capital Campaign Committee Chairman, Frank Browning, and the generous donations of so many, the funds were secured for a major renovation of the lodge at our largest and busiest Boy Scout camp. It is anticipated that the lodge will be completed by June 1st and made ready for the 2016 camping season. Special thanks goes to Wadman Construction for their great efforts to help make this project a reality. Please take some time to visit Camp Bartlett his summer to see the change.
- New flooring in the Camp Fife Lodge. Due to a significant donation from a great friend of Camp Fife, the carpeting in the lodge is being replaced with a beautiful floating tile system. This will be such a great improvement to this property and will help with our Cub Scout and NYLT programs for 2016. There are several other improvement projects underway at Camp Fife as well, including a new waterline to the NYLT area. Things are moving along well at this great camp.
- Return of the Scout-o-rama. 2016 brings back the annual Scout-o-rama after a short break. May 6th and 7th is the date at the Cache Valley Fairgrounds. This expanded event will include a merit badge opportunity as well. All are invited to attend and enjoy the opportunity to see Scouts in Action.
- Going green at Camp Loll. 2016 will see the addition of solar power at Camp Loll. Because of the generosity of donors, new panels are being added to the Jed Stringham Dinning Hall. This addition will reduce our reliance on generator power and be a visible example of our commitment to the Outdoor Code. We are excited about this great project and the impact it will have.
- Hike a portion of the historic Mormon Battalion Trail and earn a patch! 2016 will also bring a new hiking opportunity to Scouts and Scouters in our council. Many are unaware that a portion of the historic Mormon Battalion Trail passes through our council. With an eye to celebrating history and a desire to help our Scouts and Scouters to spend more time in the great outdoors, this should be a highlight opportunity for many.
As you can see, there are great things to be excited about. Scouting is alive and well in the Trapper Trails Council and I look forward to another great Journey to Excellence year in 2016. Have a great week and know that your support of Scouting makes a difference in the lives of the Scouts and leaders in our Council. I appreciate serving with such outstanding Scouters. It is a pleasure being your scout executive.